Eating local, seasonal foods can have many benefits:
- Less traveled food, which hasn’t needed to be frozen, often tastes fresher.
- Less transport-related emissions contributing to climate change.
- Supporting local farmers and the local economy.
- If able to access loose foods from a local grocer you can buy only the amount you need, free from packaging and potentially helping the avoidance of food waste (we realise many people don't have local grocers anymore).
We’d like to help out by supplying you with some recipes ideas for summer.
Also, check out supercook.com or the ‘epicurious’ app which allows you to input some ingredients (e.g. what is left in your fridge) before it suggests concoctions.
What foods are in season in June?
Apricots, Blueberries, Cherries, Kiwis (actually from China originally but can grow in the UK), Raspberries, Strawberries, Tomatoes.
Artichokes, asparagus, aubergines, broad beans, carrots, courgettes, fennel, new potatoes, pak choi, peas, peppers, rocket, spinach (end of main season), spring onions, turnips, watercress.
Meat & fish
Environmentally, if you eat meat, it’s worth considering purchasing that which has been pasture-fed (https://www.pastureforlife.org/). The vast majority of meat sold is from animals fed a calorific ‘feed’ (cereals, imported soy), which took vast amounts of resources (energy, water and land usage) in order to get cows, for example, to size. Pasture-fed means eating grass and a slower, more natural growth. Lamb’s in season during the summer, as is rabbit, but environmentally white meat e.g. chicken is less intensive agriculturally. On the fish front UK haddock, mackerel, pollock, prawns, salmon, sardines, scallops, tuna and crab are seasonable during the summer but, in some cases, they may not be so ask your fishmonger for info.
- Zucchini and potato pancakes. (https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/zucchini-and-potato-pancakes/)
- Red pepper and potato soup https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/cousin-tinas-roasted-red-pepper-tomato-soup-326885
- Artichoke & broad bean tart with watercress pesto https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/408620/artichoke-and-broad-bean-tart-with-watercress-pest
- Crab and asparagus omelette https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/crab-asparagus-omelette
- Artichoke and aubergine rice https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/artichoke-aubergine-rice
- Asian tofu with stir-fried noodles, pak choi & sugar snap peas https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/asian-tofu-stir-fried-noodles-pak-choi-sugar-snap-peas
Apricots, Blackberries, Blueberries, Cherries, Kiwis, Melon, Peaches, Raspberries, Strawberries, Tomatoes
Artichokes, asparagus, aubergines, beetroot, broad beans, broccoli, carrots, courgettes, cucumber, fennel, new potatoes, pak choi, peas, peppers, rocket, spinach (end of main season), spring onions, sweetcorn, turnips, watercress.
Meat & fish
As per June.
- Chargrilled mackerel with sweet and sour beetroot https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/chargrilled-mackerel-sweet-sour-beetroot
- Honey-roasted beetroot and carrots https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/honey-roasted-beetroot-carrots
- Creamy courgette lasagne https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4716/creamy-courgette-lasagne
- Ginger sweet tofu with pak choi https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/412629/ginger-sweet-tofu-with-pak-choi
- Pea and spring onion tart https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipe/pea-spring-onion-tart
- Sweetcorn and courgette fritters https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/sweetcorn-courgette-fritters
Apricots, Blackberries, Blueberries, Cherries, Kiwis, Melon, Nectarines, Peaches, Raspberries, Strawberries, Tomatoes.
Artichokes, aubergines, beetroot, broad beans, broccoli, carrots, courgettes, cucumber, fennel, pak choi, peas, peppers, potatoes, rocket, sweetcorn, watercress.
Meat & fish
As per June and July.
- Superhealthy salmon burgers https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7712/superhealthy-salmon-burgers
- One-pan salmon with roast asparagus https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5925/onepan-salmon-with-roast-asparagus
- Spaghetti with sardines https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1163643/spaghetti-with-sardines
Apples (bramley), apricots, blackberries, grapes, figs, melon, nectarines, peaches, pears, plums, raspberries, tomatoes.
Artichokes, aubergines, beetroot, broad beans, broccoli, butternut squash, carrots, celery, celeriac, courgettes, cucumber, fennel, kale, leeks, pak choi, peas, peppers, potatoes, pumpkin, rocket, sweetcorn, watercress.
Meat and fish
Into season come duck, goose, lamb, rabbit, venison and all the same sea creatures as the previous months (though, again, do check with the fishmonger).
- Bramley and blackberry pie https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/bramley-blackberry-pie
- Butternut squash and sage risotto https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7767/butternut-squash-and-sage-risotto
- Celery soup https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/celery-soup
- Smoked haddock and leek risotto https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/408651/smoked-haddock-and-leek-risotto
- Leek and potato soup https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1731/darina-allens-winter-leek-and-potato-soup